At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Senior – Machine Learning/ Deep Learning Optical
What You’ll Do:
- Optimize performance of state-of-the-art optical systems, for space, airborne, and ground applications with the use of Machine Learning / Deep Learning techniques.
- Integrate commercial Machine Learning / Deep Learning optical approaches into traditional systems.
- Validation and Verification (Robustness) analysis of implemented solutions.
- Discuss with senior optics personnel potential implementation, and benefits of AI solutions.
- Present Machine Learning / Deep Learning concepts and solutions to management, and potential customers.
- Mentor more junior engineers.
- Assist in proposal writing and costing activities.
- Help with implementation and integration of solutions into systems.
- Brainstorm solutions to help better fulfill the customer’s mission.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business and Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Active security clearance desired but not required.
- Expertise in Optics through either/both educational background or work experience.
- Expertise in Machine Learning/ Deep Learning.
- Significant experience with Python and a Deep Learning language (TensorFlow or PyTorch).
- Desired experience with Matlab and C++.
- Desired background in computer vision (e.g. algorithms found in packages like OpenCV and skimage) as well as DL-driven solutions (CNNs, GANs, etc).
- Desired experience with imaging.
- Desired ability to operate at the system level and interface to all engineering disciplines.
- Desired experience in reinforcement learning.
- Self-starter, good interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work independently and on a team.
- Strong written communication skills, oral presentation skills and an ability to lead group discussions.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $129,500 - $163,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.