Engineer I - Data Scientist at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Engineer I – Data Scientist
Ball Aerospace is looking for a data scientist to join the Mission and Process Analytics (MPA) team.
What You’ll Do:
- Be a member of a dynamic data analytics team; a team tasked with being a champion for data-driven decisions throughout the enterprise while advancing Ball Aerospace’s Mission & Process Analytics organization strategies and goals.
- Contribute as part of a team to fulfill MPA’s objectives through advanced data analytics and the development of qualitative and quantitative models to extract information from data for data discovery.
- Consult with business units, process owners, engineers, team members, and other subject matter experts to understand their data analytic needs and provide analysis recommendations and/or results, when appropriate and in accordance with leadership guidance.
- Create, apply, and improve process measures of effectiveness. Responsibility includes the application of data analytics as a means of measuring performance and informing corrective action. Be open to guidance and technical feedback from leadership regarding results.
- Support a Continuous Improvement methodology that includes optimizing process effectiveness.
- Support the development of valued metrics that inform the continuous improvement cycle and/or provide additional insights and opportunities.
- Develop methods, processes, and models that provide a closed-loop approach to process optimization through the application of SPC.
- Bring new analytics capability and innovative ideas to the team at Ball Aerospace and remain current with industry as it relates to data analysis and applications.
- Present technical and programmatic aspects of a project to the MPA team and to the stakeholder, when appropriate and in accordance with leadership guidance.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 2 or more years related experience.
- Advanced degree in Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics or Engineering Management with emphasis in statistics preferred.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A passion for solving problems and finding answers to business questions of moderate scope and complexity.
- Hands-on experience and familiarity with using structured & unstructured data to solve engineering hypotheses.
- Working knowledge and understanding of statistical analysis packages (i.e. SPSS, SAS, Minitab, R, Python, etc.)
- A passion for turning data insights into compelling visualization through use of BI software
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills such as maintaining composure with emotional conversations regarding a process and using information to overcome barriers.
- Proven strategic agility with the ability to remain patient during process changes while continuously generating what is effective within the schema of our current process.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $76,000 - $94,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.