Hotel Engine, the world’s largest Lodging Performance Network, is a leader in travel technology with a demonstrated track record of growth and impact. Our foundations are strong, and we’ve navigated our rapid growth by bringing our customer obsession, innovative platform, data-driven problem-solving, and bias for action into every decision. By partnering with tens of thousands of businesses and government agencies and hundreds of thousands of hotels around the world, we have built a resilient and adaptable business model and 2022 will be our best year yet!
Data is a core competency of Hotel Engine, and the team has for mission to ensure we leverage our data assets as well as advanced analytics and machine learning to deliver product and business value across the organization and achieve our overarching company goals, be they revenue, member experience or scalability goals. The team’s core pillars include building and maintaining our data infrastructure, working with cross-functional stakeholders to deliver high-value business intelligence and analytics, and building data science & ML-driven models and services to power and improve our product, increase customer engagement and satisfaction, and deliver efficiency gains throughout the organization.
We are looking for a Director to take a leadership role on our Data Engineering and Data Science team and support our fast growth. This is a key technical leadership role with executive-level visibility, a finger on the pulse of the overall business, and broad impact for someone who exhibits intellectual curiosity and rigor, and a capacity of execution to tackle some of the most critical technical challenges that span the breadth of our business.
Reporting to our VP of Data Engineering and Data Science, you will grow and lead a team of data scientists, data engineers and data analysts, and will act as both a people and technical thought leader. If you are passionate about travel, about working on both strategic projects and hands-on implementation, and relate to our vision and DNA, please apply.
Although most of the team is based in Denver, the role can be remote for the right candidate.
Here's what you'll do:
- Develop and lead a data team strongly integrated with product and engineering and with company-wide stakeholders including sales, marketing, supplier relations, traveler experience, and finance
- Partner with cross-functional leaders to drive analytics and insights-driven decision making throughout the business
- Work with the VP of Data to develop, obtain support and execute on a short, medium, and long-term data roadmap and strategy. Lead quarterly and monthly planning process, as well as weekly sprints
- Recruit great data scientists, data engineers and data analysts, in collaboration with Hotel Engine’s recruiting team. Mentor the professional development of direct reports, managers, and individual contributors, through coaching and performance management. Build diverse and distributed teams and collaborative environments
- Establish rules of engagement and processes to manage data and analytics requests, prioritize them effectively, and deliver within committed timeframes while at the same time not losing track of the data team’s core monthly and quarterly goals
- Ensure that the team builds and maintains world-class data pipelines, data warehouse, and business intelligence and analytics solutions
- Design, built, synthesize and present robust analyses aimed at driving the strategic direction of Hotel Engine
- Lead the development of predictive algorithms based on principles from statistics, machine learning and operations research to power and improve product features, increase customer engagement and satisfaction, deliver efficiency gains throughout the business, and support better decision making
- Work with product and engineering to deploy ML-based solutions into production
- Work closely with cross-functional stakeholders to define, track and report core business and product metrics and KPIs to inform both strategic decisions and day-to-day business operations
- Identify new opportunities to leverage data to improve HE’s products and processes
- Work with product and engineering to define and capture key metrics for our new products and identify causal impact through experimentation and causal inference methods
Here's what we're looking for:
- 8+ years of relevant experience in data analytics, data science and/or machine learning. At least 5 years as an individual contributor and at least 3 years leading a data team
- A PhD or MS in a quantitative field (e.g., Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Sciences or Engineering)
- Expert knowledge of a scientific computing language (such as Python or R) and SQL
- Expertise in statistics and machine learning, and a history of empowering whole organizations to use data by making data robust, well-structured, and as self-serve as possible
- Leadership experience in an analytical role at a growth-stage company
- Strong track record of recruiting and leading high-performing data teams
- Excellent communication skills both in written (memos, emails, decks) and verbal form
- Proven ability to lead projects to completion and collaborate seamlessly with others
- You are a self-starter, able to operate effectively and with autonomy in a fast-paced environment with a high level of ambiguity, and you have experience building productive and positive relationships across an organization at all levels (entry level to senior executives)
- Track record of rigorous execution and high impact
- Highly detailed-oriented and exceptional organizational and follow-through skills is a must
- The total cash compensation for this role is $160,000-$200,0000/year with an annual bonus target of up to 15%. Overall Total Earning potential including the bonus is $184,000-$230,000 plus stock options. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise & may vary from the amount above.
- This role is eligible for remote work. Hotel Engine is authorized to do business in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, TX, UT & WA. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Hotel Engine is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more.
Hotel Engine Total Rewards Philosophy | We recognize that there is more to work than the day-to-day responsibilities. Hotel Engine is on Built in Colorado’s 2021 Best Places to Work list and provides each employee with the opportunity to take on new challenges that support their near and long-term goals in a high-growth, startup environment. We also give back and have comprehensive corporate social responsibility programs supporting community, social justice and environmental causes. In addition to a collaborative, high-performing team environment, we’re pleased to offer benefits including:
- Competitive base salaries. Salary offers are based on the candidate's qualifications.
- Stock Options for all new hires
- Performance-driven commission opportunities for select roles
- Performance-driven equity awards
- Parental leave programs
- Generous time-off including open PTO, sick days and two paid volunteer days each year
- Insurance benefits including medical coverage, dental and vision offerings (with plans available at no cost to employees), as well as HSA/FSA, wellness, and disability offerings
- 401(k) plan with a match program