DB2 Systems Programmer at FIS
Position Type :
Type Of Hire :
Experienced (relevant combo of work and education)
Education Desired :
Travel Percentage :
Are you curious, motivated, and forward-thinking? At FIS you’ll have the opportunity to work on some of the most challenging and relevant issues in financial services and technology. Our talented people empower us, and we believe in being part of a team that is open, collaborative, entrepreneurial, passionate and above all fun.
About the team
The team is motivated group of people who specialize in DB2 systems on Z. There are opportunities to work together on large projects as well as the flexibility to focus on solo tasks. Our team has a wealth of experience and is looking for someone to help strengthen our systems and product support side.
What you will be doing
• Uses SMPE to install and maintain DB2 system software and third party products.
• Review performance data and present/implement tuning options.
• Maintain multiple DB2 subsystems across different environments.
• Deep understanding of sysplex and data sharing.
• Meets commitments and provides excellent customer service at all times with internal and external clients.
• Provides status reports (written and/or verbal) that are detailed to tasks and difficulties encountered – enables managers to initiate escalation if necessary and assess areas where changes or additional support may be warranted.
• Ensures issues resulting in customer outage is escalated appropriately through management.
• Closely work with vendors on identified issues to create cases, track progress, and implement fixes.
• Assists application groups with design development that meet current and future business requirements:
- Participates in logical design process of strategic projects and responsible for the physical design/implementation.
- Provides specific direction on infrastructure design to support applications.
- Participates as a member of development support team on projects.
- Follows and meets project timelines and deadlines.
• Provides maintenance of physical database:
- Creates physical database objectives following established standards and processes employed by database team.
- Enforces database standards and follows up on inconsistencies.
- Performs routine reviews of databases and systems to ensure acceptable levels of performance.
o Reports problem performance areas and recommendations for improvement.
o Follows up on recommendations and actively pushes for implementation as appropriate.
- Understands and applies database concepts such as database definitions, parameters, database component placement, reorganization, access methods and security definitions.
- Works with capacity planning, operations, application developers and other teams on database performance and access issues.
• Provides 24/7 support of production database environments.
• As primary administrator, provides on call support as needed for on-call issues with database environments and provides follow up and permanent resolution for reoccurring issues.
• Implements backup/recovery procedures to protect integrity of data in database environment.
• Actively manages backups along with other database administrators to ensure processes are successful and we can recover as a result.
• If necessary, participates in recovery of databases and assists with disaster recovery testing and documentation.
What you bring:
Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education, training, or work experience.
• Experience in project management methodologies is desired including ability to estimate, plan, manage and communicate activities/deliverables of a mid-size project plan, i.e., a plan that affects a single system or product family and uses multiple resources
• Working knowledge of the IBM DB2 for z/OS database management system and a proven ability to learn new technologies and use that knowledge effectively
• Effective communication and team skills with an ability to cooperate, present to and participate with peers/team members
• Basic knowledge of the z/OS operating systems and systems administration concepts
What we offer you
- The chance to work on some of the most challenging, relevant issues in financial services & technology
- A multifaceted job with a high degree of responsibility and a broad spectrum of opportunities
- A fantastic range of benefits designed to help support your lifestyle and wellbeing
FIS is committed to protecting the privacy and security of all personal information that we process in order to provide services to our clients. For specific information on how FIS protects personal information online, please see the Online Privacy Notice.
FIS is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here supplement document available here
For positions located in the US, the following conditions apply. If you are made a conditional offer of employment, you will be required to undergo a drug test. ADA Disclaimer: In developing this job description care was taken to include all competencies needed to successfully perform in this position. However, for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) purposes, the essential functions of the job may or may not have been described for purposes of ADA reasonable accommodation. All reasonable accommodation requests will be reviewed and evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Recruitment at FIS works primarily on a direct sourcing model; a relatively small portion of our hiring is through recruitment agencies. FIS does not accept resumes from recruitment agencies which are not on the preferred supplier list and is not responsible for any related fees for resumes submitted to job postings, our employees, or any other part of our company.