Data Engineer at PopSockets LLC
PopSockets LLC, based in Boulder, Colorado, designs, manufactures and sells innovative lifestyle products. Our flagship product, the PopSockets grip, was invented by philosophy professor David Barnett, with the first grip sold on PopSockets.com in 2014. We’ve since sold more than 200 million grips and expanded our portfolio to include a broad range of empowering, expressive, and fun products. We aim to build an Eternal Positivity Machine—an adaptable global brand that makes an increasing positive impact on the world every year.
PopSockets is looking for a Data Engineer/ Data Integration Engineer to guide both strategic architecture and day-to-day development of our Data Warehouse and the integration from internal and external data sources. Popsockets has implemented a DataWarehouse/DataLake on a SnowFlake database platform. The ETL’s have been developed with FiveTrans and Azure Data Factory. The DataWarehouse is typically used for Business Analytics using the Looker Platform. As the Data Engineer you will integrate new applications and data sources into the Data Warehouse Model. Our goal is to use this DataWarehouse to evolve from being able to provide insights as to what has happened, “descriptive” questions, to driving “predictive insight’, what is likely to happen, to ‘prescriptive directions'', what should we do to hit our goals. As the Data Engineer/ Data Integration Engineer your job is to develop code to ingest, transform and integrate data into our data warehouse. You will work closely with our Financial Planning and Accounting teams, Data Scientist and Business Analytics team to prepare structured and unstructured data for analytic modeling.
- Engage directly with business analysts and end customers to participate in design and development of data integration/transformation solution according to functional requirements
- Development of Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) logic to meet functional business requirements to support business intelligence needs using large, disparate data sets.
- Perform debugging, troubleshooting, modifications and unit testing of integration solutions
- Support, monitor, execute production application jobs and processes
- Participate in the development of documentation, technical procedures and user support guides
- Promotion of code into the Test and Production environments.
- Management of the database environment working in concert with IT DBA resources.
- Monitoring daily job scheduling activities.
- Tracking usage and contracts for Fivetran and Snowflake resource usage and billing
- Troubleshoot production issues, identifying root cause and implementing sound technical resolutions in a timely manner.
- Scale and optimize performance via schema design, query tuning, and index creation.
- Identify and document data sources, criteria, and data mapping.
- Manage projects through to completion.
- Manage work through Agile tools/methodology, collaborative repositories, issue tracking platforms, and wikis.
- Strong SQL experience
- Integration of multiple data sources and databases into one system. Well-versed in structured and unstructured data with a proven track record of working with JSON and XML.
- Experience combining disparate data sources to facilitate cross platform analyses.
- Ability to build processes that support data transformation, workload management, data structures, dependency and metadata.
- Drive to succeed and improve personally, and in ability to add value to the role, team, and company.
- Self-starter, relentlessly curious, resourceful, collaborative, and inventive.
- Good team player and communicator.
- Highly organized and meticulous.
- Positivity, and the desire to solve problems in elegant and creative ways.
Our ideal candidate has:
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience or field
- At least 2 years experience using Snowflake or a similar Data Warehouse
- At least 5 years experience programming, preferably with Python
- Hands-on experience with SQL, ETL, Data Warehousing and Data Orchestration
- Familiarity with scheduling framework
- Experience with business intelligence/data modelling/ analytics tools like Tableau or Looker
Salary range for the role is $80-90k base, based on experience and qualifications.
PopSockets is dedicated to the practice of equal opportunity employment. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants and employees on the basis of age, race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, color, creed, ancestry, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This prohibition includes unlawful harassment based on any of these protected classes. Unlawful harassment includes verbal or physical conduct which has the purpose or effect of interfering with an individual’s work performance, or creating an intimidating, hostile, offensive, unsafe or otherwise non-welcoming work environment. This policy applies to all employees, including managers, supervisors, co-workers; and non-employees such as customers, clients, vendors, consultants, etc.