Data Engineer at Uplight
Do you dream about creating a more sustainable future? At Uplight, we are motivating energy users and providers to accelerate the clean energy ecosystem. Working with over 90 of the world’s leading electric and gas utilities, Uplight provides an end-to-end customer energy experience. Uplight delivers personalized experiences that customers have now come to expect–improving satisfaction, increasing revenue, reducing the cost to serve, and contributing to carbon reduction goals. We are B Corp certified, enabling us to put our values into action by not only making decisions for the benefit of our shareholders, but also for our customers, environment, employees, and community.
We are seeking a Data Engineer to join our team and help us achieve our ambitious goals for our business and the planet.
What you get to do:
Uplight’s residential analytics pod is a cross-functional team responsible for core data and machine learning pipelines that power many of Uplight’s core analytics products. An engineer on our pod thrives when working agile on high impact projects. They understand the common trade-offs in software development and understand how to pitch and prioritize work that moves the product in a positive direction. They are an exceptional communicator both within and outside of the engineering organization.
Skills and experience are necessary, but we hire on value alignment first, so if you feel you would be a good fit with us, still consider applying.
What you will contribute:
- Work as an Engineer on our residential analytics team, primarily developing in Python and leveraging a wide range of technologies, notably: AWS and GCP, Docker, Apache Airflow, Apache Spark, and PostgreSQL
- Take problems from inception all the way to completion - own the building, testing, deployment, and maintenance of the code that you work on
- Tackle complex problems that span a wide range of technical abilities, including:
- Developing data pipelines to transform and process data between systems
- Productionize machine learning pipelines leveraging billions of rows of data
- Scaling our software to handle the ever-growing customer data
- Work effectively on an Agile team and collaborate well with your other team members.
What you bring to Uplight:
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience developing in a modern programming language (Python preferred)
- Solid knowledge of ETL and data integration
- Existing familiarity and interest in developing Machine Learning Engineering skills
- A value for testing and developing quality software
- Strong critical thinking skills and a desire to work with ambiguous challenges
- Experience working in an Agile environment and a strong understanding of the full SDLC
- Strong troubleshooting skills that span the full-stack (front-end clients, APIs, networking, DNS, Linux, containers, databases, distributed systems, etc.)
- Experience deploying production applications on at least one major cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience writing and maintaining data pipelines and ETLs leveraging Spark
- Experience working cross-functionally with design, product, customer success, sales, etc.
What makes working at Uplight amazing:
In addition to all the standard medical and dental benefits, that kick in Day 1, we:
- Are proud to be over 300+ rebels with an important cause by helping to create a more sustainable planet.
- Are committed to the environment, our employees, and our communities.
- Are focused on career growth by following defined career ladders
- Take our work and mission seriously and….we love to laugh!
- Provide a 401k Match
- Have an innovative flexible time-off policy
- Keep you energized with plenty of food and drink
Uplight provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.