Data Engineer at Ibotta
Ibotta is looking for a Data Engineer to build something great with us. As part of the Data Services team, you will work with both Engineering and Analytics to develop and own stable, scalable, and forward-thinking data-driven processes. We're looking for a self-motivated engineer who has a passion for working with an event-based architecture heavily leveraging AWS cloud tools. The data engineering team is core to driving and delivering the current and future data, analytics, and decisioning platforms across Ibotta.
This position is located in Denver, Colorado or with the option of full-time remote. Candidates must live in the United States.
What you will be doing:
- Embrace and uphold Ibotta’s Core Values: Integrity, Boldness, Ownership, Teamwork, Transparency & Advocate for Savers
- Work with engineering, analytics, and product management to implement and support event-driven processes
- Be a key contributor in the engineering of distributed systems, frameworks, and design patterns of BI and Data Science/Machine Learning
- Use Scala, Java, or Python to utilize Hadoop/Spark to collect and analyze large-scale datasets
- Design, implement and maintain distributed messaging systems
- Build, monitor, and maintain data ETL pipelines
- Help manage Data Governance and Security
- Administer and maintain our data infrastructure
- Mentor junior data engineers in principles and best practices
- Share relevant knowledge and evangelize Data Engineering with Platform and Analytics teams
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of experience in software development, preferably with Scala, Java, or Python
- 1-2+ years of experience working in the Hadoop ecosystem, using tools such as Hive, Spark, or Pig
- Proven expertise in taking data projects from ideation to implementation
- Some experience with event-driven architecture design patterns and practices
- Experience in database design and architecture principles, and strong SQL abilities
- Experience with the following a strong plus:
- AWS Cloud Services, like EC2, EMR, RDS, or Redshift
- Experience with Python, Hadoop, Hive, and Spark (either PySpark or Scala)
- Message Brokers such as Kafka or Kinesis
- ETL tools and processes (Airflow or other similar tools)
- Agile (Kanban or Scrum) development experience
Built in Denver, CO, Ibotta ("I bought a...") is a free mobile shopping app that gives users cash back on groceries and more. Through our partnerships with brands and retailers like Procter & Gamble, Kraft Heinz, Kellogg, Amazon, Walmart, Target and Uber, we’ve delivered over $800 million in cumulative cash rewards to our Savers. Guided by our values and our mission to make every purchase rewarding, we come to work energized by the business problems we get to solve, the technology we get to build, and the people we get to innovate (and have fun) with. Ibotta made Inc.’s 2020 list of the 5000 fastest-growing private companies in the U.S. for the third consecutive year. In 2019, we became the first mobile consumer technology company in Colorado to achieve $1B in valuation.
To learn more about what our Tech teams are doing day to day, visit Building Ibotta on Medium.com
- This position is located in Denver, CO and includes competitive pay, flexible time off, benefits package (including medical, dental, vision), Lifestyle Spending Account, 401k match, profit sharing and equity.
- Base compensation range: $90,000 - $120,000
- Ibotta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Ibotta’s employment decisions are made without regard with race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- For the security of our employees and the business, all employees are responsible for the secure handling of data in accordance with our security policies, identifying and reporting phishing attempts, as well as reporting security incidents to the proper channels.