Data Engineer at Highwing
Highwing is looking for a Data Engineer to build and maintain technology products for our mid-market insurance data platform. They will work in a highly interdisciplinary fashion with other functions within the team to prioritize, scope, design, build, deliver, and manage features and systems within Highwing's product portfolio, operating with a high degree of autonomy and flexibility. The ideal candidate will have prior experience building and managing data systems, as well as working in an early-stage company environment.
We are building a greenfield product on a modern technology stack, which currently includes React/Apollo, Scala/Spark/Python, Elasticsearch, Postgres, and various serverless technologies. We iterate quickly and deploy continuously, while striving to keep the quality of our user experience high and our codebases tidy. And we have a hell of a lot of fun doing it, together.
Why Highwing? Why insurance?
We are doing highly impactful work in an established industry with a lot of complexity and a rich array of interesting challenges. Learning about insurance markets and working closely with partners to identify opportunities and create efficiencies is what drives us. And we have the best of both worlds, the stability of 40 years in business with the speed and energy of a startup. We are a company where the impact is tangible, your voice is part of the story and the work is industry changing.
Working at Highwing
Our team is a small group of experienced designers, engineers, and entrepreneurs. We believe that software development is a team sport and that the best products are built by teams with diverse backgrounds who are empowered with a high degree of autonomy. We strive for rapid iteration and continuous improvement in both our products themselves and our approaches to building them. We work at a sustainable pace and know from experience that building a lasting product organization is a marathon, not a sprint.
Role & Responsibilities
- You will be responsible for architecting, building and maintaining data pipelines, storage systems, analysis flows, and procedures to support IA’s product objectives and business goals.
- You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with quick changes and a high degree of uncertainty.
- A high level of proficiency in tools and architectures for building modern data infrastructure is a must, as is a desire to learn quickly to adapt to changing technologies and business challenges.
- As a member of the engineering team, you will help guide both the technical and usability aspects of the software we build and will be involved all stages of the cycle of iterative product development.
- You’ll work with partners and stakeholders to analyze data sources and gather requirements, with designers to define user flows and look and feel, with other engineers to implement functionality, and with customers to provide support and gather feedback.
- You will have a high degree of freedom to pick the tools and frameworks that you feel best address the problems at hand and will be responsible for managing and maintaining those technology investments over their entire lifetime.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree, or related field or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience building data pipelines and storage systems. Experience with data warehousing and/or machine learning a plus.
- Design Centered: A high degree of product sense & strong appreciation for UX
- Excitement to explore new technologies and platforms that could add system value