Data Architect at Nylas
| Greater Denver Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:43 a.m. (MST) on Friday, August 7, 2020
At Nylas, our mission is to empower the world to communicate with context and insight. Our hosted sync platform and APIs enable developers to quickly integrate their apps with email, contacts, and calendar across all providers (including Exchange).
We are changing the way companies and developers innovate with email and messaging. Customers like Pipedrive, Salesloft, and Lever use our cloud messaging APIs to power their products and accelerate their ability to innovate.
Nylas has raised over $30M from Spark Capital, 8VC, Data Collective, Fuel Capital, SV Angel and more. Our HQ is in San Francisco with offices in New York, Denver, and several of us work remotely. Members have previously worked at Dropbox, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, and VMware.
Want to know more? Check out our website and Our Employee Handbook!
Nylas is working on a next generation data platform. You will be involved in building out the new infrastructure on top of a more modern stack that offers horizontal scalability and improved operability. In addition, you will help design and implement data pipelines that feed into the AI/ML models and data warehouse.
In this role, you will:
- Maintain, scale, and administer our large sharded MySQL database environment (more than 100TB of DB storage, 36 primary-replica pairs, hosting 200 shards!)
- Help teach and encourage smart database practices
- Improve automation of our various database systems to help enable self-service (when it makes sense), and implement self-healing and resiliency.
- Improve automated backup and restore systems.
- Recommend schema improvements, and help adjust queries to better match existing indexes.
- Suggest new indexes, when appropriate.
- Improve alerting - if it alerts and isn’t actionable, it’s not an alert! If something goes wrong and we don’t get alerted, we need a new alert!
- Experiment and recommend new database engine upgrades and entirely new data stores (when they make sense)
- A few years of developing and operating large-scale relational database systems. MySQL experience preferred, but sufficient experience with other RDBMS’es will be considered.
- Nice-to-have - NoSQL and distributed database experience such as Cassandra, HBase, CockroachDB, Vitess and TiDB.
- Nice-to-have - experience building out data pipelines using Spark, Kafka, kubeflow, Beam, Dataflow.
- Nice-to-have developer technologies - Python experience. Ansible. AWS. Terraform.
- Nice-to-have database technologies: MySQL, percona-online-schema-change (pt-osc), Github Online Schema Migration for MySQL (gh-ost), MySQL High Availability (mha), Github Orchestrator (orchestrator), Snowflake, Postgres
- You need to not only understand how to operate and maintain databases, but how to really teach our people how to think about our databases. We don’t want to do everything for our developers; we want them to be doing things for themselves. But to do that, we need to teach them some of our specialized knowledge on database subjects, so they can do what they need to do with our databases without having to go through us - where that makes sense. Some things that are particularly fiddly or difficult we would probably want to hold on to for ourselves.
- Competitive Pay
- Meaningful Equity
- Medical, Vision, and Dental benefits for you and your family (including One Medical membership)
- 401k, FSA, HSA, Commuter benefits
- $1k yearly Education & Development benefit
- Catered lunch & Unlimited snacks
- $100 a month health and wellness benefit
- Relocation assistance
- Unlimited vacation (mandatory 2 week consecutive vacation once per year)
- 12 weeks caregiver leave
- Flexible work hours
Nylas is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and diversity of all kinds is important to us.
Our team is roughly equal by identified gender (including engineering) and focuses on creating an inclusive environment for all people. We welcome people from all different backgrounds and currently employ startup founders, college graduates from all over the country and the world, coding academy graduates and those with no degrees at all.
We are actively and regularly working with the entire team to shape our culture in a conscious way to our ideal of empowerment, transparency, and kindness.
Read Full Job Description