Business Intelligence Manager
Guild is one of Denver’s fastest growing startups - increasing economic mobility for working adults in America and providing education and support to help every student survive and thrive in the economy of tomorrow. Our education benefits platform helps employers offer education as a benefit to their employees, and our network of nonprofit universities and education institutions helps provide every Guild student with the right academic pathway to advance their education and career. In order to achieve our mission to serve 1000s more students and accelerate our growth, we recently raised a $21M Series B round with top tier investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures, Social Capital, Harrison Metal, and Cowboy Ventures. Now, we’re looking to add a Business Intelligence Manager to the team.
You’ll love this role if you are excited to manage the data and tools that power our operations, finance, and analytics functions. This role is responsible for architecting and maintaining the business logic underpinning our databases, which brings together data from our production environment and third-party sources and transforms it into streamlined, nimble data tables that serve as the company’s “source of truth” for financial reporting and business insights. You’ll also assume full ownership of Looker, our third-party Business Intelligence software that employees use to access data and create KPI reports and dashboards. The role reports into the technology organization.
A day in our open, collaborative workspace might look like:
- Working cross-functionally with product managers and engineers to remain at the forefront of understanding how production data is evolving with new product/feature releases
- Getting your hands dirty in the data by writing, QAing, updating and maintaining SQL logic underpinning major data tables of our analytics database, which powers all business analytics and financial reporting at the company
- Managing configuration of Looker, including technical performance, accessibility, and metrics definition
- Working with the Engineering team to optimize technical performance of analytics database and troubleshoot issues
- Developing reporting standards and best practices to ensure data and key metric standardization across the company
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by:
- Thriving in the sweet spot between business acumen and technical data prowess. In this role you’ll need to be able to work with business end users to understand their reporting needs, as well as interface with the data engineers who provide technical support to our analytics database.
- Getting in the weeds of data, and striving to develop detailed expertise on where data comes from, how it’s structured, and where sneaky edge cases might be hiding.
- Overseeing a data model that can be easily used to drive business insights
- Utilizing structured, logical thinking to comfortably design and execute the transformation of occasionally messy source data into robust and usable datasets.
You’ll know if you’re successful if:
- You prove the power of democratizing data across an organization.
- We have consistent, stable, and accurate reporting and data visualizations for all of our internal and external stakeholders that allow for the operating teams to make sound decisions.
- We are able to keep up with the demand for reports and output, and ensure the right information is being displayed for our partners at any given time, but architecting a nimble and flexible structure to start.
- You can keep pace with constantly iterating on our product and releasing new features and policies for our users; it’ll be your job to remain on the forefront of understanding all of these changes and what they mean for our data.
- You successfully build relationships across the company and prioritize stakeholder needs in a fashion that ensures your team is viewed as responsive.
You’ll join a team:
- Focused on our double-bottom-line mission of changing higher ed for working adults and building a successful startup in Denver
- From diverse backgrounds – from traditional higher education, to athletic coaches, to politicians, to startup leaders (and more!)
- Of learners & problem-solvers dedicated to our dual mission of changing education in America while building a successful, high-growth company
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment that you’d support every day
What you’ll add to Guild – as an individual and part of the broader team:
- 5-7 years experience in Business Intelligence or a similar role that involves data modeling and/or SQL-based data transformation and analytics
- Advanced SQL skills required (experience with PostgreSQL and user-defined functions a plus)
- Experience developing BI tools (e.g., Looker, Tableau) and/or databases; experience building out Business Intelligence or similar function at a nascent or rapidly scaling business a plus
- Must have interest in business-side implications of work; need to “keep up” with what’s going on with the business, feel comfortable with financial reporting and interface with business stakeholders to understand their data needs
- Comfort and fluency working with command line a plus
- Experience with predictive modeling in Python or R a plus; role could evolve to include predictive modeling to inform financial forecasts
- Something else? Wonderful, we’re curious to learn more about you!