Assistant Director, Database & Application Administration
Reporting to the Executive Director of Application Services, the Assistant Director, Database and Application Administration provides leadership to Database and Application Administrators responsible for seamless operation of our primary business applications. Bringing successful management experience and personal technical expertise to the team, you’ll serve as its leader, a mentor, and an individual contributor.
Duties and Responsibilities
30% Staff Management
You’ll lead a diverse team, providing guidance to team managers and multiple individual contributors. You’ll establish team metrics and measure team success on an ongoing basis while crafting strategic goals for your group and leading efforts to achieve them. Your manager will seek your support in decision-making, expecting you to advocate for your team’s priorities. At the same time, you’ll collaborate with Application Services peers to design modern processes and seek feedback from the campus community, taking ownership of issues to ensure they’re resolved.
25% Technical & Process Innovation
Technical and Process Innovation
We encourage a culture of improvement, ensuring an understanding of University needs and industry best practices. You’ll identify opportunities to revise and improve departmental processes, review back-end and front-end technology solutions, and recommend changes to improve unit and University effectiveness. As part of this, you’ll cultivate knowledge of DevOps principles and tools, and promote them within Application Services.
20% Application & Database Administration
As a hands-on leader, you’ll guide your team in managing Ellucian Banner and the infrastructure that supports the system, including Oracle Weblogic, Apache Tomcat and a range of third-party integrations. Your team migrates code into production environments, performs scheduled system upgrades, troubleshoots system performance or stability issues and administers system access for enterprise software solutions. As database administrators, your team manages Oracle and MSSQL database platforms, including routine tuning and maintenance, scheduled upgrades, patch management and data backup/restoration.
15% Project Management
The Assistant Director will manage projects on an as-needed basis to support operational success and strategic goals, helping with project scoping, requirements-gathering and project plan development.
You’ll also represent the App Services team in diverse projects, including disaster recovery planning, new system implementations and business process re-engineering.
5% Vendor Management
As a business leader, you’ll maintain positive relationships with essential vendors, arbitrating price, quantity, contract duration and other contract terms on both routine and large-scale procurement exercises.
5% Other Duties
• Occasional after-hours or on-call assignments.
• Hands-on product support including root cause analysis and ongoing development to support business areas.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university*
• Experience managing technical personnel.
• Experience supporting production databases or web application servers in a Unix/Linux environment.
• Experience analyzing needs to guide system design and architecture decisions.
(*)Candidates who have not attained a four-year degree may substitute eight years’ professional experience.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics or a related field.
• Experience administering Ellucian Banner v8 or v9.
• 5+ years of experience managing personnel in an enterprise environment.
• Experience using Unix scripting languages or a relevant programming language such as C, C#, Java or Ruby.
• Experience developing SQL queries in a relational database environment.
• 3+ years’ experience administering Oracle Weblogic or Apache Tomcat
• 3+ years’ experience administering Oracle Database 11g or later.
• Professional experience in a higher education environment.