Sunday: Unbox a better lawn. We’re a venture-funded, Boulder-based startup that’s reinventing the lawn and garden space through a lens of e-commerce and technology. Our approachable, data-driven service and products help Americans in every state turn their yards into verdant, sustainable ecosystems, without all the toxic stuff. (Think Method Home meets StitchFix -- for Lawns!)
We are backed by a group of top-tier investors (including Sequoia, BOND, Forerunner, and Tusk), and following our recent series C raise, we are looking for the right people to grow our core team. Together, we will redefine an industry by continuing to build cutting-edge products that help people and the environment. If you don’t want to take our word for it, check out the article on us in FastCompany!
As a company rooted in nature, we deeply understand the benefits of diversity. We work to build a culture that attracts talented people from a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to help us bring lawn care out of the dark ages. We are committed to building an inclusive, vibrant team that brings determination and passion to our work everyday.
Sunday is looking for a talented and motivated Analytics Engineering Lead to transform and build our data platform to develop meaningful insights and drive business results that enable exceptional customer experiences.
Reporting to the VP of Technology, you'll be part of a team of engineers and data scientists who work together to optimize data quality and integrity in an agile, highly collaborative environment. To do this, you’ll do everything from troubleshooting, building and optimizing business-critical data pipelines to developing modern data architecture approaches that meet key business objectives and provide end-to-end data solutions.
This is an opportunity to come in as the first data engineering hire at a fast-paced startup, directly impact the company’s trajectory, and be a key contributor to a team that’s changing an industry for the better.
You are a good fit for this role if you have experience designing and building a highly scalable data architecture and can execute well in fast-moving environments. Exposure to or experience in e-commerce or subscription-based services is a strong plus.
You’ll Make an Impact By:
- Designing, building and deploying quality data warehouses, pipelines, models, integrations and APIs to support continuing increases in data volume and complexity
- Integrating additional data sources and real-time event streams from internal and third-party systems
- Implementing processes and systems to manage data quality, ensuring production data is always accurate and available for key partners and business processes that depend on it
- Writing unit/integration tests, contributing to engineering wiki, and documenting data architecture and processes
- Alongside data science and engineering leadership, drive the end-to-end delivery of data products that fuel strategic business decisions while optimizing data performance, reliability, and scalability
- Partnering closely with leaders across product, engineering, marketing, finance, and operations, as well as external partners and customers to improve data models that feed business intelligence tools, increasing data accessibility and fostering educated decision making across the organization to deliver business value
- Treating data as a product and think of new and innovative ways that data can be used by different departments throughout the organization to help Sunday achieve its mission
- Fostering technical growth within your team by encouraging collaboration and innovation
- Data Experience: You have a deep background in data engineering delivering highly successful and robust solutions. You are passionate about using engineering and data to solve business problems and create customer value. You apply best practices, but are always on the lookout for new approaches to try; you know when to build a quick and dirty experiment and when to build at scale.
- Data chops: A solid understanding of designing and building highly scalable Data warehouses, Data pipelines, Data Modelling, designing Data Lakes and Big Data Analytics using SQL, DBT, and programming languages like Python while working in warehouses like Snowflake and BigQuery
- Technical chops: You have collaborated with data scientists and engineers in developing functional and technical requirements. You are well-versed at discussing trade-offs to ensure delivery and impact. You understand different data technologies and are able to determine when to leverage SQL vs. ML vs. ELT.
- Leadership Experience: You have experience aligning teams and stakeholders to a strategy. You define and take responsibility for outcomes. You communicate and influence at all levels within the organization
- Communication: You can ensure that sophisticated ideas, thoughts, and vision are expressed simply and effectively through verbal and written communication
- Business-minded: You are passionate about building businesses, not features. You not only own the user metrics but also own and optimize business performance metrics
- Be a core member of a small, focused, innovative team
- Flexible remote/in-office work
- Autonomy to make critical decisions that will drive team success
- Compensation: $115,000 - $180,000, depending on experience
- Health, Dental, Vision Benefits: covering employee premiums 100%; spouse/family 50%
- Unlimited PTO
- Location: Boulder, CO Named best place to live by U.S. News for the past 2 years
Startup jobs aren't for everyone. They’re often demanding, frantic, unstructured, and unpredictable. If you're still interested, tell us why! We’re looking forward to hearing from you.