Space Vehicle Security Engineer II at Ball Aerospace (Greater Denver Area, CO)
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Enterprise Assurance Strategic Capabilities Unit delivers critical assurance disciplines that protect and enable people, data and missions. We provide a comprehensive approach to managing risk across the enterprise for current and future information environments where the business and missions execute. We apply the use of innovative tools and robust processes to ensure mission and business success.
Space Vehicle Security Engineer II
Perform the Systems Security Engineering (SSE) required to establish the basis for the development, implementation, and maintenance of systems and / or hardware / software-based assurance solutions for protection of critical mission technology. This person will provide SSE experience to support major acquisition programs and must have knowledge and experience with Space Defense Agency (SDA) guidelines, policies, and laws. The Subject Matter Expert (SME) will identify SSE systems and hardware / software assurance and program protection risks and mitigating strategies in support of systems and hardware / software assurance to the protect the United States of America's most advanced technologies.
What You'll Do:
- Maintain a comprehensive and holistic Systems Security Engineering (SSE) view while addressing stakeholder security risks and concerns through the application of Systems Engineering skills.
- Design and develop detailed cyber security designs using recognized practices such as Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) tools and processes.
- Identify, review, and define cyber security requirements that enable technical Architects / Systems Engineers and SMEs the ability to secure hardware and software products.
- Create a culture of Security that implements security from the beginning of a programs development and supports the implementation of security by default.
- Communicate with Chief Engineers and Program Managers the needs of the Security Engineering team and supports the development process, working with the engineering organization to identify Security Engineering issues and flaws that need to be remediated.
- Ensure the effectiveness and suitability of the security elements within the systems as an enabler to mission success.
- Provide and communicate understanding of both the technical and programmatic aspects of a project to the project team as well as the customer.
- Develop, review, and recommend security policy, guidance, training, and best practices that align its implementation across the mission acquisition lifecycle.
- Facilitate briefings to senior leadership and SMEs on program protection and security policy, guidance, and expectation in the area of SSE.
- Review and provide recommendations on Program Protection Plans (PPPs) and other acquisition and requirements documentation oversight for appropriate inclusion and application of SSE policy and guidance.
- Develop and execute to an SSE Plan containing a path to creating Threat Countermeasure Tree Analysis.
- Efficiently learn new subjects / techniques / software, without, necessarily, the assistance of others.
- Have track records of highly collaborative working skills in a team environment.
- Write clear and concise reports.
- Utilize mathematical software tools.
- Interface with Program Managers (PMs), Mission Assurance Managers (MAMs), and customers.
- Use strong presentation skills to convey security mission risks at program milestone reviews.
- Participate as member of the Mission Assurance (MA) team to select, evaluate, and document security requirements for various missions including space, military and airborne.
- Support other tasks and areas of subject matter expertise, to include the Trusted & Assured Microelectronics (T&AM) program, Anti-Tamper, and Software Security Assurance, with Design Engineering subject matter expertise as required.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- BS degree in Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Cybersecurity Engineering or related technical field is preferred.
- 5 or more years of continuous, related, progressive experience in the Systems Security Engineering (SSE) discipline is preferred.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills, solid communication and presentations skills, and ability to lead group discussions.
- Department of Defense (DoD) / Intelligence Community (IC) experience - basic understanding of how engineering and security work within the DoD / IC.
- Proven work experience implementing SSE solutions.
- Basic understanding of firmware, gateware, and software.
- Previous experience developing threat analysis.
- Zero Trust Architecture (ZTA) experience preferred.
- Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) experience preferred.
- Previous experience in the field of Cybersecurity preferred.
- A current, active TS/SCI security clearance preferred.
On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site five days each normally scheduled week in the primary work location. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continue to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
A security clearance or access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position. However, the applicant must be willing and eligible for submission, depending on program requirements, after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access.
Relocation for this position is available.
Direct Program Charge: 85%
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $111,000 - $137,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Job Grade: Aerospace O3
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
Job Referral Fee: $2,000.00
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.