Guild is reinventing the Education Benefits category - bringing innovation to the tuition reimbursement software and corporate training programs of the Fortune 1000, helping thousands of working adults go back to school and improve their lives. Think Workday or Taleo for Corporate Education Benefits - a $17B market that’s ripe for disruption.
Guild’s education benefits software platform makes offering education as a benefit an easy choice for F1000 companies, with products and features that helps HR leaders turn their education cost centers into a positive ROI. Meanwhile, Guild’s network of online, nonprofit universities and learning providers offer a consortium of classes, programs, and college degrees, along with college advising and retention coaching, helping each student navigate the worlds of work and college.
We are a mission driven, double bottom line company. In mid 2017, we closed a $21M Series B from top tier investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures, Social Capital, Harrison Metal, and Cowboy Ventures and have expanded from our founding team to more than 65 employees. Our clients include Chipotle Mexican Grill, DaVita Healthcare Partners, HealthOne / Hospital Corp of America, Taco Bell, Denver Public School District, and the Public Service Credit Union. Now we’re building out our Accounting team to support our growth and scale.
The mission of the Controller is to…
...own all areas of work related to accounting, financial reporting, treasury, and financial operations (including AR, AP, and expense management). Bring our currently outsourced accounting functions in-house, implement accounting and billing solution integrations with our core systems, develop an in-house accounting team, and ultimately own all policies, procedures, and systems related to accounting and financial reporting.
If you join Guild’s team as our Controller you will:
- Report to the VP of Finance, Mae
- Set the strategic direction for the implementation, improvement and maintenance of the accounting systems and processes to scale with business growth
- Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing policies and procedures
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls
- Own and lead Guild’s accounting functions, including daily accounting operations, payroll, tax, financial close and reporting, invoicing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, expense management, revenue recognition and general ledger
- Serve as a “player-coach” and effectively build and manage a strong accounting team capable of effectively scaling with business growth
- Review monthly financial statements and trend analyses to ensure accurate results
- Help build a system to facilitate direct billing and invoicing process between Guild, learning suppliers and corporate partners, consistent with partner contracts and policies
- Plan, control and direct corporate accounting activities ensuring compliance with GAAP, statutory guidelines, and internal financial policies and procedures
- Prepare internal and external financial reporting for management team reviews, board meetings and investor presentations
- Lead local, state, and federal government tax and business filings and requirements
- Lead and serve as the key relationship manager for external financial reviews or auditors
- Provide support on special requests and ad-hoc projects as necessary
- Build relationships with leaders and operators cross departments to QC data and develop improvements to the system
We’ll prioritize the following experience and attributes as we evaluate candidates throughout the hiring process:
- At least 8-10 years of progressively responsible experience in accounting roles in both public accounting and startup environments
- 2+ years experience as lead controller for SaaS business with $15 million+ in revenues
- Strong understanding of SaaS accounting and metrics
- Recent experience working at a company with rapid and large scale growth
- Deep familiarity with US GAAP requirements for tech/software companies (e.g. rev rec)
- Certified Public Accountant; big 4 accounting experience a plus
- Ability to manage ERP software and processes
- Experience building out accounting processes & procedures, preferably in a rapidly growing B2B SaaS startup
- Experience reconciling Salesforce data with accounting systems a plus
- M&A and/IPO experience preferred
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; strong experience with Excel
- Ability to handle multiple and sometimes competing priorities; comfortable with multiple daily responsibilities; and managing change where required
- Ability to think deeply and qualitatively about business problems, breaking down issues and presenting solutions
- Entrepreneurial, bringing a high level of self-directed energy, and an unrelenting drive to succeed and win
- Ability to be both a leader and hands on “doer”
- Technologically savvy and able to use leading edge technologies to efficiently manage and communicate business performance
- Collaborative, with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and build successful working relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Impeccable integrity and ethical standards
Guild Education believes that a diverse and inclusive team will contribute toward our ability to achieve our mission and will dedicate intentional effort to building a team that reflects this.