Greater Denver Area
Establish Pie as a top 10 commercial insurer among small business owners by providing our customers with an outstanding shopping experience while building a robust portfolio.
How You’ll Do It
Working at Pie Insurance as an Underwriting Associate requires adapting your skills and experience to a cutting edge, data-driven approach to risk management. Our data-centric approach to underwriting is unparalleled, and we are disrupting the small business insurance market, one customer at a time.
As we grow and scale our young business, our team is evolving our underwriting guidelines and processes, finding and achieving new efficiencies every day. This evolution demands flexibility in our thinking and a constant, pragmatic refinement in how we interact with our customers and evaluate their businesses. To be successful in this role, we balance a service orientation with a closing mentality, evaluating the risk of our customers’ businesses while building a robust portfolio.
Our Underwriting Associates are on the front lines, interacting with our Underwriters and Partners all day, every day. Every underwriting call, email and message has a profound impact on our business and our reputation.
The Day to Day
- Process submissions that come from numerous channels and capture data in systems of record.
- Gather, consolidate, and input information from 3rd party services and partners.
- Conduct risk and exposure research around the types of activities employees are working on (businesses that have been submitted to Pie).
- Send out request for additional information, quotes, and assist in communication between Underwriters and Partners.
- Your role is mission critical and allows the Underwriter to analyze and serve our customers with speed and precision.
- Systems and tools you’ll use include but are not limited to: HubSpot, Salesforce, Insurity, our native platform, and Microsoft Excel.
- Additional responsibilities could include underwriting renewal policies. What does this look like?
- Leverage workers’ compensation underwriting expertise to assess risks to underwrite renewal coverage.
- Maintain strong industry knowledge on WC underwriting expertise and changes in market/account positions. Develop and maintain full knowledge of all forms, coverages, ratings, and manuals for the specific line being underwritten.
- Quickly and effectively decision each renewal request through the use of Pie’s underwriting guidelines and known risk exposures and loss frequency and severity.
- Our Underwriting Associate will work out of our Denver, CO, location in the LODO district.
The Right Stuff
- Execution. Ability to balance the outstanding execution of processes while handling a high volume of request.
- Communication. Sending accurate and timely information to the Underwriter and Partners which directly enhances and elevates the customer experience.
- Customer Research. You’ll also be verifying businesses using Google, Yelp, LinkedIn, Facebook and similar sites, so comfort navigating those is required
- Tech Savvy. You’ll constantly use Insurity, HubSpot, Outlook, and possibly also Salesforce, so prior experience with those systems would be helpful
- Experience. Prior experience with workers’ compensation or other P&C lines preferred but not required.
- Education. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Working at Pie
- You expect to challenge others and to be challenged.
- Your communication style is candid and compassionate.
- You share your knowledge to position the team for exponential growth. We aren’t here to compete with one another; we are in it to win it, together.
- You share our passion for the small business community.
Pie Insurance provides workers’ compensation insurance directly to small businesses online. Offering A.M. Best A rated coverage, Pie leverages data analytics, easy-to-use online features, and a seasoned team of insurance experts to create an insurance model that’s as easy as pie. We began offering insurance policies in 2018 with a mission of helping small businesses experience true savings and an unmatched level of service.
A fast-growing Insurtech startup, Pie has home offices in Washington, DC, and Denver, CO. Our all-star team offers an incredible career opportunity where you can use your expertise to disrupt an industry and serve the SMB community.
Want a slice? In return for your commitment to us, you’ll get a piece of Pie. At Pie, we’re invested in you, and you in us.
Read Full Job Description