Principal Lighting Artist at IllFonic
Principal Lighting Artist
IllFonic is seeking an experienced Lighting Artist to join our team on our next great title for PC and consoles. Founded in 2007, IllFonic (IllFonic, LLC) is an independent video game developer with studios in Golden, Colorado; Tacoma, Washington; and Austin, Texas. Our staff is composed of video game, music, and technology veterans redefining how games are made and marketed. Past titles and collaborations include Friday the 13th: The Game, Dead Alliance, Star Citizen, Evolve, Armored Warfare, Crysis 3, and Nexuiz.
Do you have the ability and technical skills to bring light to any room or landscape? Do you live for the latest tools and technologies to enable you to take your skills to the next level? Are you passionate about making games and stunning visuals? If so, you should join our creative and innovative game studio where you will help build amazing looking gameplay environments.Responsibilities
- Guide, mentor, and train other art team members on texturing techniques that are best compatible with lighting
- Work closely with other developers to create and continually improve lighting best practices across the game and studio.
- Solid knowledge of working within an HDR pipeline
- Check and Verify assets for proper PBR ranges and values to maintain consistent visual fidelity
- Verify the consistency of lightmaps and assets that influence lighting results.
- Create and maintain all elements of lighting i.e. dynamic, prebaked, interior and exterior setups, cinematic set, and character lighting.
- Collaborate with the team to design and layout gameplay spaces so the lighting showcases the POI’s in our worlds
- Study and evaluate new techniques and technologies to improve art quality or workflows
- Work closely with the Art Director to bring their vision to life
- Strong understanding of color theory and practical lighting concepts
- Assist in scoping work for on-time milestone deliveries
- Portfolio of work demonstrating strong proficiency as a 3d/lighting Artist
- At least 3 titles shipped using Unreal Engine
- Skilled in creating and understanding PBR materials
- Expert Level experience in Substance Painter, Substance Designer, or/and Quixel Suite
- 8+ years of professional experience developing high-quality AAA game titles
- Strong sense of level design, scale, and gameplay flow
- Passion for playing and creating games
- Self-driven with strong communication skills
- Proven experience mentoring and teaching other artists
- Proven experience tackling challenges and problem solving with a strong sense of ownership
- Proven experience working closely with many other disciplines as well as being a team player
- Advanced understanding of lighting, composition, and set dressing
- Advanced understanding of Maya/Max, Photoshop, ZBrush
- Advanced understanding of current game art pipelines and methodologies