Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
An amazing week of events coming up for student developers: Demo displays by RefactorU, Turing School and DaVinci Coders, tech fairs from Maker Boulder and Open World Learning and a high school team coding competition by Lockheed Martin. If you like seeing what things new developers are learning and creating, this is a good time for you.
Speaking of being a student it appears my time away from schoolwork is coming to a quicker end than I had realized. After a month off, My Computer Organization/Architecture course starts a week from today, not 2 weeks from today like I had originally thought. I'm looking forward to the course, though. Some might say developers don't need to know about hardware as much anymore because so much code is built on top of layers of abstraction but I call BS on that. Between the amazing amount of devices already plus the IoT devices hardware is pretty darn important. Also someone still has to write those layers of abstraction so don't disregard that hardware knowledge.
Just because I wasn't doing schoolwork for a month doesn't mean I wasn't learning. In fact I'm pretty darn proud of my month off. I developed a Ruby on Rails web app for my police department which I will post to GitHub this week to show off. I made a game for Ludum Dare 35 called "Zorg's Crash Landing." It's a very simple puzzle-like game that I did not work on as much as I would have liked, however I actually made a thing so that's awesome. I also started learning Sphero capabilities with my entirely too long Sphero Android App Reviews post. I just started playing with the Sphero educational apps so look for that soon.
Remember, no more podcast so look for me to post something interesting this week. Looking at how much I've typed already I apparently have a lot to say.
Top Colorado Technology News
- Know a veteran? No Barriers Warriors, sponsored by Douglas County's Rise Broadband, offers all-expenses-paid trip [Tech+]
- Boulder-based Ajubeo announces Chief Executive Officer, solidifying leadership [CTA]
- Denver's MarketPay acquired by Seattle firm; new owner plans to hire more in Denver [Tech+]
- Online reviews site, Trustpilot, to open an offline office in Denver [Tech+]
- How a combination of product and passion helped Boulder-based startup Tapinfluence raise $14M [BuiltinColorado]
- Behind the scenes: what it's really like to be a developer for Boulder's SnapLogic [BuiltinColorado]
- Colorado wants to duplicate Israel's success in cybersecurity [DenverPost]
- CodeCraft March Graduates’ Final Portfolio Apps & Demo Videos [CodeCraft]
- From social media managers to senior developers, here's what tech employees in Colorado actually make [BuiltinColorado]
- Level 3 named Advanced Partner in Amazon Web Services Network [InnovatioNews]
Top Upcoming Events
- 4/28 - CodeCraft - Is a Coding Bootcamp Right for You?
- 4/28 - Denver/Boulder Cybersecurity Meetup - Defending Our Hometown Digital Rights: Meet the Electronic Frontier Alliance
- 4/28 - RefactorU - Demo Day
- 4/28 - Turing School - Demo Night: Student Projects
- 4/30 - DaVinci Coders - Demo Day for DaVinci Coders: Ruby on Rails
- 4/30 - Lockheed Martin - Code Quest
- 4/30 - Open World Learning - OWL TECHfair
- 5/1 - Maker Boulder - 2016 Rocky Mountain STEAM Fest
- 5/2 - Turing School - Meet & Hire a Developer
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado or if you have any news stories or opinions of your own about Colorado tech, email me at [email protected].