You are someone who prefers to communicate through code. You love to create and have a strong desire to learn. You have strong opinions but that are weakly held; you are humble yet confident.
You know the difference between PUT and PATCH, when to use Cassandra over Redis, and can debate the merits of the CAP theorem. You’re not bound to any one framework; you code in different languages and know the advantages and tradeoffs between threaded parallelization and single threaded event loops. You’re also diligent about meeting allocated budgets and can work within time constraints, but you will never sacrifice quality.
On top of this, you are independent, but you’re also comfortable working in cross-functional teams. You have excellent communications skills and can share insights and expectations with stakeholders, clients, team members and various levels of management.
What you’ll do
- Work on client products as well as our own products, delivering first-class software
- Build out mobile APIs and web applications for mobile and browser clients
- Peer review other team members’ code, and learn and adapt from peer review of your own code.
- Support sales and project managers with technical insights, leading to the creation of budgets and schedules for projects.
- Share knowledge and insights with team members through lunch n’ learn programs or mentorship
Desired skills and experience
- 5+ years of delivering software with preference given to those who have a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- Proficient in software development design patterns and methodologies.
- Proficient in at least one language or platform.
- Proven working experience in software development.
- Experience with testing and behavior driven development.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to share insights and expectations with clients, stakeholders and colleagues, both locally and remotely.
- Working alongside smart, talented people who will push you and help you grow.
- The autonomy to make decisions to help grow our robots team in both breadth and depth.
- Support for professional development and access to as many books as you can read.
- A great work environment and health benefits.
- Fun activities (like book club and board game nights), biweekly Robo Brews and team parties.
About Robots and Pencils
Robots and Pencils is an app development company known for its top-ranking consumer apps, transformative enterprise apps and world-first learning platforms. Started in 2009, Robots and Pencils has more than 250 apps used by over 77 million people worldwide, and was named one of North America’s Technology Fast 500 by Deloitte in 2014.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.