We believe that employees are people, not ID numbers. That’s why we’ve reimagined the most complicated, impersonal business tasks that employers face and created one simple and delightful service. Payroll, benefits, and HR like you’ve never seen before.
We were recently voted the #1 place to work in San Francisco. To learn more about our values, life at Gusto, and benefits, visit gusto.com/careers.
Gusto is seeking a Payroll Tax Resolution Lead in our growing Denver office. We are looking for someone who can coach and develop the team to resolve payroll tax notices while delivering a world-class customer experience. The team helps small business owners by discovering payroll discrepancies, researching tax laws and identifying the root cause of cases. You will be working closely with tax agencies to reach the best outcome for our customers as well as our product team to build tools that streamline the resolution process and prevent similar cases in the future. You will lead a passionate Tax Resolution team to increase customer happiness & reduce the number of tax notices, coach and mentor team members, and help to scale a quickly growing company.
Tax Resolution is a team within our Payroll Operations function and is at the core of our business. Our spectacular team is a key stakeholder in company decisions and operations. It’s a small, tight, fun group that works hard and laughs a lot. No egos here — we collaborate and help each other out in a positive environment.
Here’s what you’ll do day to day:
- Lead a Tax Resolution team of 6-10 passionate individuals with a focus on coaching, development, and professional growth
- Provide subject matter guidance to individuals on researching & resolving complex payroll tax notice cases
- Build lasting relationships with key stakeholders at local, state, and federal tax agencies to advocate for our customers
- Understand and communicate the company initiatives, OKRs, and metrics used to measure growth and performance in customer support
- Use data to monitor and improve performance and provide insights on how we can improve our tools and processes as we scale
- Build a strong culture of collaboration with our Product team and other cross-functional teams (Customer Care, Tax Operations, Compliance, Sales) to prioritize the most impactful product enhancements and compliance requirements
- Inspire a team of passionate individuals to constantly provide exceptional service to our customers, raise the bar, and achieve the unthinkable
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Have 2+ years experience managing a team in customer support or similar field
- Minimum 2 years of payroll experience. Payroll tax background or FPC is a plus!
- Empathetic and passionate about career development & personal growth for others
- Great at detective work and creative problem-solving, with a keen eye for details
- Can communicate complex topics in a simple, digestible way
- Desire to build a customer experience organization that people will write books about
- Experience using data to build new processes and improve existing ones
- Can build relationships, influence, and negotiate better than most people you know
- Have a degree from an accredited 4-year university
- Experience working in a quickly growing company in the tech industry
- Deep payroll tax knowledge & experience working in payroll (5+ years)
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 40,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.