Skookum is a digital product development firm with offices in Charlotte, North Carolina and Denver, Colorado. Since 2005, our team of product, design and technology professionals have worked in partnership with organizations that want to make their customer and employee experiences distinctly more meaningful, efficient – and enjoyable.
We are seeking a Java Engineer. Our Java Engineers are passionate about building scalable, RESTful APIs. Tuning application performance, optimizing database queries, and application architecture strategies are just a few of the things they do on a weekly basis. Do you have the technical and relational skills to build business-critical applications with a high-performing, cross-functional team?About The Team
At Skookum, you will join a focused, cross-functional project team to build truly innovative products for our varied client base. You will have the opportunity to work with and learn a variety of different technologies, depending on what is best for the job. At present, we have Ruby on Rails, node.js, .NET, React, Angular, C and Go in production. You will work closely with non-engineering team members, such as Product Strategists, Project Managers, and QA Analysts.About You
You are always learning. You are always growing. You are always seeking to improve yourself and those around you. You are a human first, a developer second. You are willing and able to take a leading role in communications with project stakeholders. You can explain technical constraints to both technical and non-technical audiences.
You will succeed in this role if you:
- 3+ years of experience working on large development projects
- Have built and launched RESTful Java Web APIs
- Java 7/8 & Web Application Frameworks (Spring, Play, etc)
- Experience using JPA
- Familiar with ORMs such as Hibernate
- Experience with package/dependency management systems (Maven, Gradle, etc)
- Understands Dependency Injection(DI) / Inversion of Control (IoC)
- Experience with unit testing frameworks (JUnit, etc)
- High level of OOP experience
- Working with cloud infrastructure environments (AWS, etc)
- Have a very high standard of written English
- Love the journey as much as the destination
- Oracle Service Bus experience
- Familiar with other JVM languages (Scala, Clojure, Kotlin, etc)
We never do the same thing twice. We build business critical applications. We tackle problems we don’t always know how to solve. Every day, every project is a new challenge to conquer. You will have the opportunity to push yourself and grow.
We have offices in beautiful Charlotte, NC and Denver, CO. We believe in work/life balance. Seriously. We offer a ton of competitive perks, including:
- Competitive pay
- Opportunities for leadership and career progression
- Open PTO policy
- Continuing education opportunities
- 401k matching
- Family-friendly health, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Commuter benefits
- Friday company lunches, beer and a lot of snacks
- Health and wellness programs
- Other location specific perks (just ask!)
If this sounds like a place you’d like to be, send us your resume with a cover letter. Let us know why you’d be a good fit. If you already exist online with a blog, twitter, github, soundcloud, or other platform let us know that, too.